Do You Know What Is Required With Building Regulations?

There is a checklist that you need to go through when buying a conservatory or orangery so that you get the design you want and know that it complies with the rules.

  • Settle on an appropriate style e.g. Victorian, Edwardian, Gable, T-Shaped, Lean-To, Glass-to-Floor, Tiled Roof etc.
  • Choose a colour and material e.g. textured woodgrain or smooth surface finish, UPVC, aluminium or Heritage frames.
  • Select some accessories e.g. underfloor heating, blinds, hardware.
  • Does the design satisfy current building regulations?

We highlight that last point as non-compliance with building regulations can prove catastrophic. Your local authority may order you to modify the design to make it compliant or you may not be that lucky as they have the power to tell you to demolish the structure completely!

TWC won’t allow either of these scenarios to ensue as we are fully up-to-speed with building regulations and know what’s required. We know that any conservatory or orangery must be in line with these rules:

  • At ground level and not exceed 30m2 floor area.
  • Glazed to satisfy the requirements of Approved Document K of Schedule 1.
  • Physically separated internally from the building it is attached to, for example, by a door.
  • Without sanitary appliances.
  • Not intended for year round habitable use.
  • Used to some extent for the propagation of plants.

If there’s even the slightest bit of doubt whether the extension falls within the rules, it’s always best to ask for an Exempt Buildings Form from the relevant local authority.

This form should be used to thoroughly outline all details of the proposed design so that they can be assessed by the planning department. You will receive written confirmation of their decision after several weeks. When successful, the written confirmation should be kept in a safe place as it is your proof that the extension complies. When unsuccessful, you do have the right to appeal the decision.

Planning permission is something entirely different

Don’t confuse building regulations with planning permission as they’re not the same thing.

Planning permission is something that needs to be obtained when you want to have a building constructed at your home. This won’t apply though if you have Permitted Development Rights.

Let TWC take care of everything

Every customer that buys a conservatory or orangery from TWC can rely on us to sort all building and planning obligations on their behalf.

Kick-off the project by booking a FREE showroom or home appointment.


Everyone is welcome to come in and browse around our Swindon or Oxford showroom, where our friendly sales team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.


Want to speak with an Advisor? Give us a call on 01793 781413

Our friendly team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.

Back To Our Blog