Building Regulations – What You Need To Know About Them

Very few people know the very first about building regulations which is totally understandable; why would they? But, if you ever want to conduct some form of building work at your home, we cannot emphasise enough that you should do some research into building regulations approval before you even contemplate progressing with it.

Home Extensions

Your first point of contact for information and guidance on building regulations should be your Local Authority Building Team (click here to locate yours).

Whether you need building regulations approval will very much depend on what building work you have in mind.

What you mustn’t do is confuse building regulations approval with planning permission – they are NOT the same thing.

Unfortunately some householders do that, or they simply fail to do their homework properly and find themselves being issued with an enforcement notice. In extreme cases, neglecting to abide by building regulations can lead to a heavy financial penalty and potential imprisonment.

On the whole, building regulations approval IS required for the following types of building work:

New buildings

  • All new buildings except agricultural buildings
  • Garages that are not fully detached and under 30 square metres


  • All extensions no matter how small
  • Some conservatories and porches (many are exempt but these must be separated from the house by doors and can’t be heated)
  • Roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • Basements and basement extensions


  • All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • All garage conversions
  • Barn conversions
  • Subdividing a house into flats
  • Converting flats back into a house


  • Creating a ‘granny annex’
  • Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
  • Installing a new kitchen
  • Taking out a loadbearing wall
  • Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing
  • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
  • Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower replacement window and door units
  • Installing roof lights
  • Making windows or doors wider or taller
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
  • Replacing your floor

When building regulations approval is needed, an application will need to be submitted via the Building Control Planning Portal. How much it costs will depend on the type of building work and varies between local authorities.


We guarantee you will experience no hiccups with building regulations approval if you use TWC’s free and helpful customer service. Don’t be shy to speak to us!


Everyone is welcome to come in and browse around our Swindon or Oxford showroom, where our friendly sales team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.


Want to speak with an Advisor? Give us a call on 01793 781413

Our friendly team will be pleased to help with any questions you may have.

Back To Our Blog